Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Thrum Mittens


I saw these mittens this summer and knew right away I wanted to make them. Needles in the Hay had a kit to make them so I picked them up. I started them on December 12, 2010 and finished them (yes, both of them) on December 19th. Alec was home sick for three days, so I had a bit of extra knitting time.

I used 3.5 mm needles and cast on 40 stitches. The thrumming was easy once I got the hang of it, although I made a mistake following the pattern. I was suppose to offset the thrums, but I didn't. It doesn't matter- I still love them. These mitts are so nice and warm. I ended up having to put a bit of extra thrum into the top of the mittens and the thumb. I just used a needle and sewed it in.

Alec really seems to like these, I think I'm going to make him a pair and a pair for my mom too. The only problem is I have to wait until they get more patterns.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment