Sunday, January 30, 2011
I'm currently working on these great fingerless gloves. I had always mocked these gloves, but suddenly I needed to knit these. When I realized I could text and read with them- I was sold. I'm using the same wool I used for my boot toppers. They are knitting up really quickly!
Over Christmas I went to Shall We Knit to do some stocking up on my wool stash. I love heading to Shall we Knit because it means my mom has the kids and I can spend a little time browsing wool and patterns instead of feeling rushed to get home. Janice had sent me a pattern for these boot toppers and I knew I had to make them. I wear lots of skirts and in the winter my legs can get cold on yard duty.
I used 3.75 mm needles and Ultra Alpaca Fine wool- lovely slippery wool. I found it a bit frustrating to work with at first. I found myself dropping stitches which I don't do a lot, but with this wool I seemed to do it a lot. The wool was so slippery that it would unravel a few stitches down. I realized after that I should have bought sports weight not fine- however- I'm loving these toppers. Here they are on my own two legs (photo taken by Alec)
Wednesday, January 5, 2011
I saw these mittens this summer and knew right away I wanted to make them. Needles in the Hay had a kit to make them so I picked them up. I started them on December 12, 2010 and finished them (yes, both of them) on December 19th. Alec was home sick for three days, so I had a bit of extra knitting time.
I used 3.5 mm needles and cast on 40 stitches. The thrumming was easy once I got the hang of it, although I made a mistake following the pattern. I was suppose to offset the thrums, but I didn't. It doesn't matter- I still love them. These mitts are so nice and warm. I ended up having to put a bit of extra thrum into the top of the mittens and the thumb. I just used a needle and sewed it in.
Alec really seems to like these, I think I'm going to make him a pair and a pair for my mom too. The only problem is I have to wait until they get more patterns.